New puppy checklist
It's almost time to bring home your new puppy, let's get ready! Here's a list of items to get prepared for your new little one:
- Large breed puppy food such as Diamond Naturals large breed puppy that has real meat as first ingredient (Avoid corn, wheat and preservatives). May also feed raw meat diet using high quality meat such as Blue Ridge Beef or a combo of both.
- Two dishes, one for food and one for water. Stainless steel is best. Nontip bowls.
- At least one 6 ft leash
- Soft, adjustable collar(and new ones as he grows)
- An ID tag with phone number that you will place on your dog's collar.
- Gentle puppy shampoo
- Good-quality dog nail trimmer
- At least 5 or 6 safe chew toys (the more the better—toys can be rotated)
- A pin brush and sturdy metal comb
- A dog crate- even if you don't intend to keep your dog in a crate, crate training is important
- Pad or blanket for crate, dog bed for house
- A book on how to raise your pup with positive techniques.
- House training supplies. Clean up spray and paper towels
- A gate or exercise pen if needed.
- Healthy treats for training- this can be something specifically for dogs or pieces of cheese, meat, etc
- A good veterinarian (not found in stores!)
- Bitter Spray deterrent to prevent chewing on furniture, etc.